Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bulgogi

Love and I spent the past 4 days of holidays in front of TV watching Junior Masterchef Australia. Those amazing kids made me excited to try lots of new recipe, seriously!

Ever since we got married, I would cook for Love every morning, every day dutifully. Because he eats heavy breakfast and he skips dinner, so I don't have to cook for dinner. I just packed the food nicely so that he could eat them when he got to his office.

It was always the same recipe; Chinese fried rice, Malay fried rice, fried meehoon, fried kuey teow, ayam kicap, ayam halia, all sorts of sambal, cekodok, cucur udang, cucur ikan bilis, Pa Jun (Korean pancake) and the most boring menu has got to be sandwiches.

Chicken sandwich, tuna sandwich, egg sandwich, boooo... ringgg...

My latest obsession was pancake, after reading Thepinkstilettos.

I tried again and again and again to get the texture of my pancake from this..




To perfectly golden brown like this, thanks to my SIL..



Then, I got bored. After watching Junior Masterchef, I realized that the only Korean dish I ever cooked was Pa Jun (I will reveal the recipe soon).

So, I googled some recipes from web and combined them with MIL's cook book, and add some ingredients to make the taste similar to the ones cooked by MIL. Finally, I come out with Bulgogi (direct translation would be fire meat)!!


Hubby's packed food for today; nasi+bulgogi+ikan goreng.

Now, let me share the Bulgogi's recipe with all of you.

400g sirloin steak, cut into thin slices (I used minced beef since we're running out of steak at home)
1 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp light soya sauce (kicap cair)
2 tbsp dark soya sauce (kicap pekat, I mixed both kicap manis and masin)
3 tbsp sesame oil
3 dashes black pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 scallions/green onions (daun bawang)
1 yellow onion
sesame seed

Marinate the sugar and meat, leave for at least 20 mins.
Dice the garlic.
Chop onion and scallions.
Marinate the sugar+meat with soya sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, garlic and onions.
Refrigerate for at least 10 mins, of course the longer the better.
Cook in pan fry until the meat is properly cooked and until the juice from the meat comes out.
Sprinkle some sesame seed on top.

Done! It tastes good and so easy to prepare compared to Malay cooking :) All the best!

5 comments:

Syaza Nadrah said...

Best best!!! I've always like the Bulgogi at Seoul Garden! Me likey this post! nnt nk cube!~

Mawar_Mohamad said...

nyums kak xpernah try bulgogi.mmg blum familiar with korean cuisine.maybe i'll try masak this dish.thanks for sharing the recipe!

Khadeejah Hasmad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
khadeejah hasmad said...

wah. Mahu cuba! :D

Dr. Ikeen said...

Nadrah: All the best! Senang je kan!
Kak Mawar: Go Kak Mawar! Sharerecipe your roast chicken pls. haritu i tetibe craving for that ;p
Khadeejah: Try! Try! All the best!