Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Procrastinating

At this very moment, I have my marking to do, some thesis to be read, presentation slides for my conference in October and of course my PhD and some final stuff to settle for my holiday to Langkawi.

"Ay ay so much work to do. Never mind, can do later, work can never finish, let's blog first. I have been abandoning my blog for a while!"

Ah ha! That's procrastinating already!!

Procrastinating has been like a drug to us, we know it's bad and yet oh my god how addictive and convenient.

I once heard someone say, "If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it." And that was when I knew I had to change.

"Nah, I'm gonna do this after a little facebook." And while browsing your Facebook, you found out that your friend just got engaged. Called her up for a while to congratulate.

"Well, how often do a friend got engaged." Since you guys haven't been catching up for quite some times, you talked for about half an hour.

 "How often do I call her anyway?" Then, when it's time to start doing your work, you'd feel you should have a toilet break for a while. Then met your friend, go for a tea break.

Trying to start doing your work again, boss gave another job. And then that was it, that was when it was 5pm, you should be packing but you're just about to start your actual work.

How fun is procrastinating, right?

I have an easy punishment to myself. Every day, I would use my sticky notes, writing what I should do for the day, if I couldn't manage to get it done by that day, I would stay in the office until I can finish it. Go back late = very little time for Khaira = not happy = cranky Khaira = sleepless night = full of regrets.

Usually works, my motivation is of course my little ones.

However, some other suggestions that work for me:

1. I believe in "Blink". A little planning = good. A lot of planning = equally good. Stop thinking too much, just start/decide whatever you want and usually, insya Allah the ideas flow like a waterfall.
2. If the task is hard and you feel like holding it until you have the mood, then just starts doing it. The more you push it away, the less mood you'll have.

3. Just start, even though you are 5 minutes away before lunch time. At least you get some basic idea on what you should do.

4. “Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.” - Dale Carnegie

5. Stop procrastinating with the simplest thing. When you wake up in the morning, snooze for 5 minutes, that's procrastinating already. If you can eliminate all the small things, the big one will be just a piece of cake.

Let us all aim for a quality lifestyle.

Baby steps insya Allah.

No comments: