Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A story not to be judged

A dear friend came up to me one evening, very subtly putting things in my mind, testing the water. I've been through this before. And finally she confessed,

"I've an affair with somebody's husband."

...

"Don't judge me."

"I'm not!" Yes, truth is I was not. I was too busy judging the guy actually, and their marriage.

There will be some times in your life, you couldn't help but reflecting yourself and relating all the stories you heard. There must be a reason why she talked about this to me. And a reason why I heard about this from her.

See, it works both ways. Perhaps I was sent from the above to help her. And she was sent from the above as a reminder to me.

"What made him attracted to you?" I asked.

The usual answer. Wife is a successful lady in her career. Too intelligent to impress whatever he has to say about his works. My friend is way younger and of course intelligent successful man tends to be charismatic to her.

Noted. Big bold caps lock statement in my head.

"So what now?"

"I want to get out, but I don't know how. What do you think?"

"Honestly, if you stay, you're breaking your own heart. Would you stay knowing that with someone else you'll always be that someone's priority."

"But he did things for me that I don't think I can find in other guys."

Old habits are like that. Very hard to get away from the familiarity you have, very scared to walk to uncertainty, paranoid to lose what you thought was the best, but that's life. If you stop the adventure, you stop life.

"Baby steps ok."

But yesterday, about two weeks after she decided to tell me the whole thing, from the hardest time to even make the decision to walk away, she took a giant step to stop everything and walk out of it straight away.

A win win win situation. I could not be prouder.

No comments: