Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell: A review

"How did you finish your PhD part time in three years?"

I received that questions A LOT

From almost everybody who knows about it.

And my answer is always the same..

"Alhamdulillah, I have a great support system."

And that's when the interrogations happen. I guess there's no magic in my answer, hence the probing.

Then, I read Outliers and somehow I can relate to it very very strongly.



It has been a while since I last read Gladwell's intelligence. For me personally, among the four books I read: Blink, The Tipping Point and What the Dog Saw (click each book for my review), Outliers is the masterpiece!

In Outliers, the best and the most successful people are picked and studied to see what made them.. simply the outliers.. the outstanding ones.

Great soccer players mostly are born in January, because the intake for good soccer club is in December. Hence, those born in January have more time to practice compared to those, say in November.

Bill Gates is worth million dollars now because he used to have 24 hours access to computers, when computers back then were so expensive and only few people have the opportunity of using them.

Most lawyers are Jewish because their immigrant parents worked in garments industry. How does it relate? Go read Outliers, please! And why us, Asians are good with maths?



You see, of course it takes hard work and determination to achieve something. But we have too often focus on what successful people are like and too little attention to where they are coming from. Because, it matters.

Honestly, I have learned a lot from this book. In a sense of parenting as well.

I learned that it matters to send your children to good schools, because good schools produce good education system and good environment and support system.

It matters to train them in whatever skills we want them to excel daily although as short as 5 minutes a day.

It matters for them to have a good support system in order to make them the outliers.

In shaa Allah. Ameen.


No comments: