Monday, June 4, 2012

A beggar in Pasar Malam

I feel so happy the moment I wrote this story. Blissful. For EVERYHTING I have, Alhamdulillah :)

Just a random story anyway..

Back when I was little, Mom would always leave a few RM1 note by her computer. So whenever someone came over to the house asking for donation, Mom would asked me to take one note of RM1 and gave it to them. As a child I figured it was an interesting thing to do. It made me happy, though I was uncertain of why I felt that way at the moment.

So, when I finally received my weekly allowance back when I was in kindergarten, I saved up some coins and changed them to RM1 note. Remember back in early 90s, we can find a lot of beggars in Pasar Malam and this one particular beggar caught my attention so badly. He was a really skinny old man, reminded me of my grandfather a lot.

The day we went to Pasar Malam, I gave the RM1 note to this old man. And Mom scolded me, "You're not being fair. You gave it to only 1 beggar when there's a lot of other beggars and they all should be treated equivalently."

Somehow, I really took that advice to heart, and tried to be fair whenever possible. Although sometimes, some beggars looked fishy; like a syndicate or something but my job is to just give sincerely, whether it's a syndicate or not; it's not up to me to judge.

Kind of reminding me of someone I knew back in high school. This person would donated whatever leftover money he had from his weekly allowance for donation during Friday prayer. And I somehow fell in love with his kindness; and later on to the person himself.

And today, he's my better half, the father of my little girl, may she turned up to be as generous as her father and her grandparents; the three most generous people I know :)

No comments: