Sunday, April 22, 2012

Colic babies and solid foods

I am more than happy to wake up early in the morning to prepare solid food for Spiderbaby.

First, it was just mashing the banana, then I gave her brown rice, then I put some carrots and dates in the rice.

After a week of having carrot+dates, last Saturday I decided to introduce her to potato. She cosumed it a bit slower than carrot, but finished it to the very last spoon eventually.

Then that night, while I was nursing her (after about 2 hours nursing and sleeping non stop), out of nowhere, she cried at the top of her lung. Never before I heard that kind of cry. And normally she would stop immediately once I put her to my chest, but not this time. I shouted for hubby who was downstairs helping me with my laundry at that moment. He tried to console her, but to no avail.

We decided to call my dad (he's a baby expert), so both of my parents came. Rupanya, Khaira had a bad colic. Since I followed the four days rule (alhamdulillah), my dad said the culprit must be the potato. Kesiann Spiderbaby!!

She was recovering yesterday, but I became more concious on what I fed her. You couldn't help feeling guilty seeing your baby like that, I am glad though Love was there to support me all the time. He kept saying, "We have to try to feed her to find out eventually."

So, today, despite of tons of work to do in the office, I tried to find some times to do some research for Spiderbaby, and here's the list of food for colicky babies, I hope it helps.

Foods which cause a normal amount of gas (allowed):
1. Meat, Fowl, Fish
2. Vegetables: Lettuce, Peppers, Avocado, Tomato, Asparagus, Zucchini, Okra,
Olives
3. Fruits: Cantaloupe, Grapes, Berries
4. Carbohydrates: White Rice, Chips, Popcorn, Graham Crackers
5. All nuts
6. Eggs, Jello, Fruit Ice


Foods which cause a moderate amount of gas (may need to avoid):
1. Potatoes
2. Eggplant
3. Citrus Fruits, Apples
4. Carbohydrates: Pastries, Bread


Major gas producers (avoid):
1. Vegetables: Onions, Celery, Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Cabbage,
Cauliflower, Radishes
2. Beans
3. Fruit: Raisins, Bananas, Apricots, Prunes, dried fruit
4. Carbohydrates: Bagels, Wheat Germ, Pretzels
5. Peas
6. Green Salads
7. Bran cereal / foods high in bran
8. Brown rice
9. Leeks, parsnips


Source from here

Some other precautious step to take is to reduce the amount of solids she take at one time; but rather increase the number of feeding. And to avoid drinking while eating.

I am somehow sangat bersyukur that it happens now, because I have time to let Khaira try the Heinz food that we bought for her before we go to Bali.

So, for tomorrow, I'm thinking Zucchini. Forget sweet potato and buttersquash nut. I will keep the post updated!

2 comments:

Albert Jett said...

Thanks for sharing very informative and effective article.
Baby Colic

Ir. Dr. Ikeen said...

Thank you and yes I use gripe water too! :)