Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Breastfeeding

Today is World Milk Day!

And the first thing that comes into my mind when I heard the word "MILK" is breastfeeding, now that I'm pregnant.

I must have been blessed since I am surrounded with a community where breastfeeding is a must in my office.

Thus, I've recently bought myself a Spectra 3 - Jingle Jungle Basic Back to Work Package from Fabulous Mom with a very fair price, RM481 inclusive of the filter!

I guess the best thing about Fabulous Mom is that my warranty starts the day I give birth to my baby rather than the day I buy the pump.



I pray so that I can fully breastfeed my baby until he/she reaches 2 years old. Semoga Allah SWT perbanyakkan susu. Dad always told me that when our intention is good, insya Allah everything else will follow smoothly. I have faith :)

Below is the article I excerpt from the Breastfeeding Essential.

ADVANTAGES OF BREASTFEEDING FOR BABY

1. Due to the anti-infective properties of breastmilk, breastfed babies tend to have less incidence of or less pronounced symptoms of ear infections, respiratory illness, allergies, diarrhea, and vomiting.

2. Due to the digestibility of breastmilk, breastfed babies are rarely constipated.

3. The stools of breastfed babies are mild-smelling.

4. SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is less common in breastfed babies.

5. Breastmilk is constantly changing in its composition to meet the changing needs of the baby. It has the exact combination of protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and sugars needed for the human infant at various stages of his growth.

6. Breastfed babies are constantly exposed to a variety of tastes through their mother's milk.

7. Breastfed children are at less risk for chrohn's disease and juvenile diabetes.

8. Children who were breastfed are less likely to need orthodontic work such as braces due to the unique sucking action required with breastfeeding. They also seem to have better overall dental health than formula-fed children. Children who were breastfed need speech therapy less often than those who were bottle-fed.

9. IQ levels are an average of 8 points higher in children who were breastfed.

10. Adult daughters who were breastfed are at less risk for breast cancer.

11. Adults who were breastfed have a lower risk for high cholesterol and asthma.

12. The bond between mother and child seems to be enhanced with breastfeeding.

ADVANTAGES OF BREASTFEEDING FOR MOTHER

1. Nursing immediately following delivery causes the uterus to contract lessening the risk of postpartum hemorrhage.

2. The uterus of a breastfeeding mother shrinks to its pre-pregnancy size more quickly.

3. Calories are burned while breastfeeding. It takes approximately 20 calories to produce an ounce of milk.

4. Women who nurse their babies for at least 6 months lessen their chances of pre-menopausal breast cancer.

5. Osteoporosis and cervical cancer are less common in women who breastfed.

6. The return of fertility is delayed with breastfeeding.

7. Breastfeeding is more economical than formula feeding. The cost of formula for 12 months is approximately $1000 - $1200.

8. Breastmilk is always available, clean, and the right temperature.

9. Many mothers feel a special satisfaction in knowing that they alone are meeting the nutritional needs of their babies.


P/S: Special thanks goes to Kak Sumay, Eyfa and Kak Iza for providing me with the best examples on how a mom shoud be.

3 comments:

Mawar_Mohamad said...

Kak sokong 100% on your intention :)

Dr. Ikeen said...

Thank you, Kak Mawar :) I'm still searching for your new blog. Do update hamzah's blog ok!

Maysa Abdullatif said...

Hi there!

I just stumbled upon your blog and i just read all these stories about your pregnancy. Make me wants to get pregnant again. Congratulations!

Just want to share my experience, you really don’t have to pump during the first 6 weeks. Because you are going to need the baby’s suckling until your milk supply is fully established. You can try to pump though, but don’t be discourage if your milk supply is so little. It will gradually increase when keep your baby latching on to breast directly in the first six weeks. Just let the baby latch on as soon as s/he is born. You will feel like your body hasn’t produced the milk or colostrum just yet, but actually there is. Only because it is too little and sometimes only can come out with the baby’s suckling.

Avoid formula milk in the first 48 hours. This will prevent jaudice. You might be worry if you baby is hungry, but really, your milk is the only milk s/he needs. Plus the stomach is too small that the baby doesn’t need additional formula milk.

I’m sure you have read a lot about breastfeeding all over the internet. I’m just sharing my experience.

Breastfeeding really takes a lot of courage to get use to it and to like doing it. Good luck in breastfeeding!