Friday, July 8, 2011

Hypnobirthing Class 2 - Breathing and Relaxation technique

What is surge?

Surge (or some might call it contraction) is the tightening and shortening of the uterine muscles during labor. Good news is that, it enchances the effacement and dilation of the cervix and contributing to the descent of the baby.

So, since surge is very important, we want to make sure we have the correct breathing technique in order to help us dilate more, and hence baby will be birthed faster.

In hypnobirthing class, we've learned three basic techniques of breathing.

1) Calm breathing.

It's basically the breathing you have when you are asleep. You use this in between surge. Breathe in at a count of 4 and breathe out at a count of 8 very calmly as if you're asleep.

2) Surge breathing.

Breathe in at a count of 20 and breathe out at a count of 20 very slowly, when you breathe, feel the air inside your tummy like when you are inflating a balloon. You use this during surge. I tried this during one of my Braxton Hicks surge, it helps :)

3) Birth breathing.

The most important breathing. You use this to breathe out your baby. Breathe in to your throat and without holding your breath, let it go down to your tummy and vagina, like a J shape. Best time to practice? Each time you have a bowel movement. Don't push your stool, breath it out, might take longer time to let it out than usual, but it wil come out eventually, more gently. It took me 3 toilets visit before I am satisfied with my birth breathing :)

Why breathe out your baby, why don't just push it out like the doctor asked you to?

1) Because we want to avoid any tear.
2) To save energy.
3) And pushing does not help you dilate more.

Other than the breathing techniques to help you with the surge, there are also relaxation techniques to help you ease the pain.

Basically, hypnobirthing taught you some deep relaxation techniques, where you'll be hypnotized so that you don't feel the pain during surge.

I guess on the relaxation techniques, it's better for you to read from the Hypnobirthing book itself, or better still.. learn from the practitioner so that she can check on your breathing and relaxation technique.



But, my advice is.. if you want to be hypnotized, you must allow yourselves to be hypnotized first. The rest can come easily. You are in charge of your own body. So far, I've managed to numb half of my body, I've managed to paralyze my leg, Insya Allah.. I'm confident for the labor.

Whatever it is, like any other things you've learned.. in order to be succesful you need a lot of practice. And that's just what I'm gonna do until the day I deliver Little Precious.

And in order for you to always remember what you've learned, I always believe in sharing. And hence, that is what I just did.

Doakan, the birth of my baby will be as natural as possible. Insya Allah. Ameen.

P/S: Please note that I am not a certified practitioner of hypnobirthing, I write based on my class and my experience. And if anyone with hypnobirthing experience feels as if some part of the article needs to be corrected, I truly appreciate any feedbacks. Thank you.

No comments: